For brooch number 8 I did not make a brooch from scratch, I fixed one of my old ones that I made about a year ago. I did not like how the fibula came out on the back, the gauge was to thin, however I never got around to fixing it. Since I am participating in the brooch challenge I thought it was the perfect time to try and fix the brooch. With my flush cutters I grabbed under the edge of the rivet and cut off the top. I did the same on the other side but just pulled out the rest of the rivet instead of cutting. Sometimes I can't grab underneath the rivet with my flush cutters so I use my drill. Always use a drill point smaller than the hole, this way you won't enlarge the existing hole.
I decided to change the copper backing and rivets and use brass instead to give it a mixed metal look. I also made a new center enamel piece. I guess the only thing I did not change in the end was the sterling silver frame.
I used the same enamel, Transparent Gold, but the wonderful thing about this enamel is it always comes out different. In the first piece it had more red tones, this time it has gold and red colors that seem to be swirling together. I think it goes better with the brass color.
For the fibula I used the same design just a thicker gauge, and gave the back a light satin finish.